A Roman Catholic Church of St Werburgh was opened in Queen Street, Chester, in 1799, and classes were probably held before a school was built in 1854.
A new church was built in Grosvenor Park Road in the 1870s. St Werburgh’s has been a much loved church of the Catholic community in Chester. Built by Edmund Kirby, it has soaring gothic arches and tall lancet windows, giving a wonderful sense of style and space. Cardinal Manning celebrated Mass here on Christmas Day 1875 before the church was completed. The solemn opening took place on 13th July 1876 with a Pontifical High Mass, the first in Chester for three hundred years
Here’s the programme – if you are interested in attending contact details are at the bottom of the post.
11:00 Mass in Church
11:40 Coffee & Registration, Parish Centre, 26 Brook St., Chester
12:00 History of the Mission from 1757-2013. Speaker: Fr. Paul Shaw (Parish Priest)
14:15 Places of Catholic interest in Chester. Speaker: Gerry Tighe (Chester Blue Badge Guide)
15:00 Walking Tour of above places (optional) led by Gerry Tighe, Or visit the Family History Help Desk (Centre)
Cost £5.00 per person (inc. lunch) Please pre-book with
Mrs J M Smith
10 Irving Close
0161 483 9199